Your privacy is important to us.
- We’ll refer to our website as the “Site”.
- We’ll refer to Hacksplaining Inc. as Hacksplaining or “we” or “us” or “our”.
- We’ll refer to all the products and services we provide individually and collectively, as the “Services”.
- We’ll refer to you, the person or entity accessing our Site or using our Services, as “you” or “your” or (if you are a purchaser of our Services, our “customer”).
What is a Data Controller? For general data protection regulation purposes, the “Data Controller” means the organization who decides the purposes for which and the way in which any personal data is processed. Our customers are the Data Controllers.
What is a Data Processor? A “Data Processor” is an organization which processes Personal Information for a Data Controller. We are the Data Processor for our customers. As a Data Processor, we are bound by the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations (the “GDPR”).
What is Data Processing? Data processing is any operation or set of operations performed upon Personal Information (whether automated or not). Examples of data processing explicitly listed in the text of the GDPR are: collection, recording, organizing, structuring, storing, adapting, altering, retrieving, consulting, using, disclosing by transmission, disseminating or making available, aligning or combining, restricting, erasure or destruction.
What is Personal Information? Personal informatio is any information which is about you, from which you can be identified. Personal Information includes information such as an individual's name, address, telephone number, or e-mail address. Personal Information also includes information about an individual's activities, such as information about his or her activity on Site or our Services, and demographic information, such as date of birth, gender, geographic area, and preferences, when any of this information is linked to personal information that identifies that individual. Personal Information does not include "aggregate" or other non-personally identifiable information. Aggregate information is information that we collect about a group or category of products, services, or users that is not personally identifiable or from which individual identities are removed.
How do we collect Personal Information?
In our service as a Data Processor, we collect Personal Information from Data Controllers in the followings ways:
Out website (https://www.hacksplaining.com)
- Customers with a Hacksplaining account may input data manually into our system.
What information do we collect?
We may collect the following types of Personal Information from you:
- Your email address
- You company’s name
- We may retain server logs which include the IP address of every request to our server
We may also collect and aggregate information about the use of our Site and our Services. That information could include information such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address (an IP or Internet Protocol Address is a unique numerical address assigned to a computer as it logs on to the internet), browser type, operating system, the web page that you were visiting before accessing our Site, the pages or features of our Site which you browsed and the time spent on those pages or features, search terms, the links on our Site that you clicked on and other statistics. If you access our Site using a mobile device, we may collect information such as a device identifier, user settings and the operating system of your device, as well as information about your use of our Services.
What do we use your Personal Information for?
- To authenticate users when then take the training material
- To provide analytics for our customers
- To personalize your experience — your Personal Information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve our Site and our Services — we continually strive to improve our site offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
- To improve customer service — your Personal Information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
- To send periodic emails — The email address you provide may be used to send you information, notifications that you request about changes to our Services, to alert you of updates, and to send periodic emails containing information relevant to your account.
- If you purchase our Services, then to enable you to purchase, renew and appropriately use a commercial license to our Services.
We may also use your Personal Information where necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, including to share information with government and regulatory authorities when required by law or in response to legal process, obligation, or request.
- We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials or private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose your Personal Information to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate: (i) to respond to claims, legal process (including subpoenas); (ii) to protect our property, rights and safety and the property, rights and safety of a third party or the public in general; and (iii) to stop any activity that we consider illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
We will request your consent before we use or disclose your Personal Information for a materially different purpose than those set forth in this Policy. Consent may be obtained by any legally sufficient method. For example, depending on the circumstances and applicable laws, consent may be obtained by providing you with notice and the opportunity to opt-out.
If you receive commercial email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email. You may also opt-out from receiving commercial email from us by sending us an email at email@example.com. Please be aware that if you opt-out of receiving commercial e-mail from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your opt-out request, and you may receive commercial e-mail from us during that period. Additionally, even after you opt-out from receiving commercial messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding our Services.
Who at Hacksplaining may access your Personal Information?
Designated members of our staff may access Personal Information to help our customers with any questions they have, including help using the product, investigating security issues, or following up on bug fixes with the customer. This activity is logged in our system for compliance, and we maintain different levels of access for its employees depending on their role in our company.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
Except as set out below, we do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personal Information. Non-personally identifiable visitor information, however, may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Customers belong to organizations on Hacksplaining and may invite other team members. Team members will have access to the organization’s data (including Personal Information) that we process on behalf of the Data Controller. Each customer can designate team administrators who can control who has access to the Personal Information.
We may disclose Personal Information to third-party service providers (for example, payment processing and data storage and processing facilities) that assist us in our work. We limit the Personal Information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to maintain the confidentiality of such Personal Information. We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business.
We may also release your Personal Information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect our or others’ rights, property, or safety.
Your Personal Information may also be transferred to another company in the event of a transfer, change of ownership, reorganization or assignment of all or part of our businesses or assets. This will occur if the parties have entered into an agreement under which the collection, use and disclosure of the information is limited to those purposes of the business transaction, including a determination whether or not to proceed with the business transaction. You will be notified via email or prominent notice on our websites for thirty (30) days of any such change in ownership or control of your Personal Information or as otherwise may be required or permitted by law.
How do we handle global transfers and process of your Personal Information?
Principle of Onward Transfer
In the context of an onward transfer of data to a third party, we have responsibility for the processing of Personal Data we receive and subsequently transfer to a third party acting as an agent on our behalf. We shall remain liable under applicable law if our agent processes such Personal Data in a manner inconsistent with applicable law, unless we prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
Retention of your Personal Information
We retain your Personal Information for as long as we need to fulfill our Services. In addition:
- We may keep data linked to cookies and other online identifiers up to three years.
- If we are involved in litigation or a governmental or regulatory investigation, then we keep data throughout the period of litigation or investigation and for 5 years after that. If a settlement means that we have to keep data for longer, then we keep data for the period required to administer the settlement. If we provide data to law enforcement agencies, then we keep a record of this for one year beyond the end of the investigation.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Our Site, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 18 years old or older. We strive to comply with the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). If this server is in the United States, and you are under the age of 13, do not use this site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 18 or your country’s age of minority. If you nevertheless believe that your child has provided us with their Personal Information, please contact us and we will delete it.
Other rights you have include the rights to:
Ask for a copy of your Personal Information
- This is known as a Subject Access Request. If you would like a copy of some or all of one of your user's Personal Information, please contact us as firstname.lastname@example.org
Ask us to correct your Personal Information
- It is your right to lodge an objection to the processing of your Personal Information if you believe that the legal ground “relating to your particular situation” applies. The only reasons we will be able to deny your request is if we can show compelling legitimate grounds for the processing, which override your interest, rights and freedoms, or the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal claims.
Ask us to erase certain categories or types of information
- If you choose to remove your Personal Information, you acknowledge that we may retain archived copies of your Personal Information in order to satisfy our legal obligations, or where we reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
- Our customers may request that one of their users be removed from our system entirely by contacting us at email@example.com
Ask us to restrict certain processing
- You have the right to object to processing of Personal Information. Where we have asked for your consent to process information, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
“Opt out” of certain sharing of Personal Information
- You may limit or "opt-out" of our sharing your Personal Information with third parties.
- Obtain the information you provide in a structured, machine readable format, and
- Ask us to transfer your Personal Information to other organizations.